Prep Time: 15 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Makes: 2 servings
Ingredients:For the Hollandaise Sauce:
- 4 egg yolks
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- pinch of cayenne
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
For the Veggie Benedict:
- 2 english muffins
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices of tomato
- 4 eggs
- Hollandaise sauce (above)
- parsley for garnish
Instructions:To Make the Hollandaise Sauce:
- Put 4 yolks, 2 tbsp of lemon juice, salt, pepper and cayenne in a blender or food processor. Blend until frothy.
- With the blender running, stream hot melted butter through the removable insert on the top and blend until thick and creamy. Adjust to taste by adding more seasoning, lemon juice, or butter.
To Make the Veggie Benedict:
- Split english muffins in half and lightly toast.
- Sautee spinach in olive oil with a pinch of salt.
- Heat a pot of water to simmering. Swirl water in a circle. Crack 4 eggs into center of pot to poach. Remove with a slotted spoon when whites are cooked through and yolks are still runny.
- To assemble the benedict, top each english muffin half with a spoonful of sautéed spinach, one slice of tomato, one poached egg. Spoon desired amount of hollandaise sauce over the top. Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
Notes: Adding a spoonful of vinegar to poaching liquid may help keep the whites of the eggs from falling apart too much. For meat eaters, replace or add to veggies with slices of Canadian bacon for a classic Benedict. Recipe is easily adjusted for more or less people. Enjoy a delicious brunch at home!
Jenny is a pastry cook, blogger, and animal lover. She lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her golden retriever, Honey. Her free time is spent exploring with her pup and drinking copious amounts of tea in local cafes. She’s obsessed with artisanal bread and cheese and aims to create wholesome, delicious, vegetarian food that people will love. See more recipes on her blog, Honey and the Baker.