CARROT CAKE INGREDIENTS:
- 1 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground pumpkin spice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (solid but soft at room temperature)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple or 1/2 cup applesauce
"CREAM CHEESE" FROSTING INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (solid but soft at room temperature)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp unsweetened almond milk
- Mix together almond milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Mix together the flax and water and set aside in the fridge for about 10 minutes to allow it to thicken. (This is our egg replacer)
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients for the cake including whole-wheat flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, pumpkin spice, and sea salt.
- In another bowl beat together the coconut oil, brown sugar, and vanilla extract until fluffy. Then add the almond milk and apple cider vinegar mixture and the flax "egg" mixture once thickened. Beat together until well combined. Then add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Fold in grated carrot and crushed pineapple and mix well. It will be a pretty thick batter.
- Lightly oil a 8” X 2” round cake pan. Press the batter into the cake pan evenly so it reaches all sides. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 F for 25-30 mins.
- Turn out onto cooling racks and allow the cake to cool completely before icing them.
- Using a hand mixer beat the coconut oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract and 1 cup of powdered sugar to start. Once it's mostly combined add in another 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and beat together. Then add in almond milk and beat until smooth and fluffy. Then ice the cake!
NOTE: I've topped the cake with crushed almonds and pecans also I added shredded coconut in the middle. I also made three little carrot flowers using a few pieces of peeled carrots. You can use any topping you’d like. Dried fruit, fresh fruit, lemons, and shredded carrots are wonderful topping ideas.