Fitness Challenge: Pilates Roll Over
Words & Images by Eden Coiro
- Lie on your back with your legs straight up in the air at ninety degrees with arms by your sides.
- Exhale as you hinge your legs toward your face.
- Keeping legs tight together, without using momentum, articulate each vertebrae off the floor sending your legs overhead and behind you so you end up with them parallel to the floor. Maintain tight abdominals.
- To descend, roll down, articulating each vertebrae back to the mat trying to keep your legs as close to your face as possible. Return to the start position.
- Perform exercise only lifting your bottom from the floor. Omit attempting to send legs overhead.
- Assist yourself on the decent by placing your hands under your body and slowly lowering yourself down with control.
- Try performing full roll over with arms directly above you – perpendicular to the floor - to challenge your balance and control..
- Try performing full roll over with legs slightly abducted (separated) on the decent.
GOALS & REMINDERS
- Exercise is to be performed on a smooth surface.
- You should maintain a long neck throughout exercise and be able to breathe normally.
- Improve strength of core and overall body control.
- REMEMBER to breathe throughout the full exercise – as with ALL exercise – to continue to oxygenate your muscles.