How to Make Your Own Yogurt
Ever go to buy Organic yogurt at the store and spend $6-7 on a tub? Does that not give you the willies? How about spending less than $1 and having a huge fresh, healthy supply! My sister gave me this recipe to share and it makes the tastiest yogurt I've ever had!
PREP TIME: 10-20 minutes COOK TIME: 12 hours
YOU WILL NEED:
- End scraps of old yogurt (2-3 tablespoons). Enough to fill about 1/8 of your mason jar (The more old yogurt you use, the thicker your final product will be)
- Mason Jar
- Cooler or container you can submerge the Mason jar into a warm bath over night
- Warm Water
INSTRUCTIONS (follow these carefully; the trick to this is not letting anything get cold or too hot!):
- Take 2-3 Tablespoons of your end bit of yogurt from your previous tub and let cool to room temperature
- Next, fill your mason jar up with milk to see how much you will need to make yogurt. Empty the Mason jar into a sauce pan, and bring milk to ALMOST a boil.
- Right before it boils remove from heat, and empty into Mason jar. Let cool to room temperature.
- Once both the end bits of yogurt and milk are at room temperature, combine them in the Mason jar. Add a lid on it and shake it up real good.
- Create a warm bath for the jar. I used a small cooler and filled it up with hot water from the tap and submerged the Mason jar ½ to ¾ to the top.
- Close the lid or cover of the cooler, and let sit overnight or for 12 hours.
- After 12 hours you should have thick, yummy, healthy yogurt!